Birdcage transformed


Indescribable, I have to show you a "before" picture.  It was such an ugly dirty little thing.



Here it is with a coat of Heirloom White (Rustoleum).



I like to use a heavy duty face mask, for safety, and this spray paint grip (Rustoleum) for comfort and control.

I love the patina - you can't get that with newer wood.

I picked out some pretty scrapbook papers, the stripes were chosen so that they would have maximum impact even though I was only going to use small strips.

I carefully cut my scrapbook paper to cover the floor of the cage, the door, and parts of the frame.
I used Mod Podge and a small paintbrush to decoupage it on.
I wanted to darken the white a little lot, but Distress ink (Ranger) in tea dye did not work so well.  I finally caved in and got a quart of Smoke Glaze (Ralph Lauren) from Home Depot (they are discontinuing RL!)
I just put an old sock over a glove and liberally smeared it on.
Ummmmm, still not quite right...
It needed more contrast, so I painted some bits black and sanded in a few places...
Wow. That's much nicer.

I'm linking this post up with




Bookmark and Share
13 Responses
  1. Ahhhh.... that's lovely, that is... I have to say that I was a little: "Where is she going with this" when I saw that not so nice looking birdcage (I was slightly grossed out, even) but the finished product with the candles... "C'est magnifique!" and with the paper and paint job it will look beautiful by day and night!




  2. Coming over from Funky Junk Interiors. Love the name of your blog first! And second your birdcage transformation came out great! =) New follower now!


  3. I love how you added the paper around the door and base. That really add a pop to the cage. I too love your blog title.
    Thanks for sharing.



  4. Gorgeous! I especially love that you covered the floor of the cage in that beautiful paper.


  5. Super duper cute. But it looks as if it is wood. Guess not or you wouldn't be burning candles in it.




  6. I loved the definite hold and curl this

    product kept in my hair. I did not try it alone as another reviewer did, but instead used it with the Moroccan Treatment (oil) product and they seemed to complement each other perfectly. If you have curls

    like me and want them to look defined and beautiful, then you will like this product in conjunction with Moroccan Treatment.


  7. I have been using

    a Chi straightener for most of my life and I thought it was the best. This past Christmas I bought this straightener for my mom. I used it all month and the difference is amazing. I don't know if it's

    because of the titanium plates or the degree to which it heats, but it straightens the hair in one pass through and leaves it SO SHINY. My hair stays straight longer after using this, too. I love it and have

    made the switch to babyliss!


  8. I first tried this product when visiting in Portland and mistakenly assumed this product left my hair so nice-to-the-touch because the Oregon water was so soft. Not so. Using it in my own hometown, I

    have had the same results -- soft, natural curls. Too many styling products on the market leave hair stiff and crinkly. Moroccan Oil Intense Curl Cream is well worth the cost. Be advised that only a

    dime-size amount is necessary to great results


Related Posts with Thumbnails