Cool Tools: Table Saw

What it is

A table saw is basically a circular saw mounted below a table which is used to support the material being cut.

The depth of the cut is selected by moving the blade up or down.  The angle of the blade can be adjusted too.  This is a great tool for ripping French cleats.

There are 4 basic types of table saw (see Wikipedia page for more info).

The most common is the benchtop table saw
I have one of these on a stand.  I find it to be very adequate for cutting boards and smaller sections of mdf sheet.  It doesn’t provide a large enough surface to cut full size sheets of mdf or plywood, but I think I will built this ripping and cross-cut table so I can use my fabulous (love it!) table saw to cut my mdf sheets!

Table Saw Deconstructed

I’ll use my saw to illustrate the parts and functions of the standard table saw.
P8080001
Rip fence: The fence is a guide allowing the user to accurately cut to a specific width.


Splitter: a “fin” behind the blade that prevents the workpiece from rotating.  In conjunction with pawls (hold downs with teeth), they help prevent kickback.


Elevation wheel: raises and lowers blade and adjusts blade angle.  I can raise the blade into a workpiece to cut a narrow groove or cut through a board when I don’t want to feed it through the blade.


P8080023 P8080022
 Push stick: allows you to push small or narrow pieces of work without getting your fingers too close to the blade or your body between the blade and rip fence.

P8080026 P8080025
Miter gauge:  like a fence that is used to position the wood to be cut at a precisely controlled angle (a miter cut).

P8080004My power switch comes with a lock (just remove the yellow piece) – a very good thing when your 3 year old is obsessed with Mommy’s tools…


Featherboards: are used to keep the wood against the rip fence.  I plan to make my own using this how-to.

Safety

Kickback happens when the work being cut is caught by the blade and violently and unexpectedly thrown back toward the operator (that’s you) and can be fatal.  It is usually caused by the wood being pinched between the blade and the rip fence.  Never stand in direct line between the blade and fence.    And never set the rear of the rip fence closer to the blade than the front – it will cause the piece to get cut too wide and get pinched between the blade and fence.
I’ve had one of my pieces kickback.  It was like an explosion went off; the piece of mdf went shooting like a bullet to bounce off the wall behind me.  I am always careful where I stand in relation to my work.

If you use a table saw or plan to, read this article by Rick Christopherson, a great explanation of all the forms of kickback, what causes them and how to avoid it!!

Always use a table saw carefully, using a push stick for small or narrow pieces, follow safety directions, and wear protective equipment.  The table saw is one of the most dangerous of workshop power tools.

Shopping

Buy the best saw you can afford while keeping in mind what you will be using it for. 
Will you cut small boards to make birdhouses, or large sheets of mdf to build bookcases?  Does it need to be portable?  Then read this how-to select a table saw.

Building

I am currently building some bookcases (built-ins) for our dining area.  It will be a few weeks likely, but I’ll happily show you what I’m working on as I build.
 P8080001
I whipped up a pair of fabulous adjustable-height storage sawhorses!!  As soon as I write up the blueprints for these I’ll share with you… these sawhorses are awesome – I love them!
P8080009
Thanks for humoring my power tool obsession again…


New to Pregnant with power tools? Don't miss a post and subscribe here... Bookmark and Share
12 Responses

  1. It is really great that table saw was created in order to make wood works easy to do. What's even wonderful is you can avail one that is light weight and easy to use. And you can even purchase it online.


  2. Here at this site really the fastidious material collection so that everybody can enjoy a lot.

    marksaw


  3. I really love this post I will visit again to read your post in a very short time and I hope you will make more posts like this.  decoration kit banner banners pom hanging decorations pink blue baby party baby shower


  4. Hi, I really appreciate your work that how you explain each step in detail with proper illustration. I am beginner in this power tools field i have my circular saw but it was failed due to power failure i go for market for circular saw repair but can not get something out of it. After getting some training in using power tools i buy a best table saw for woodworking for the improvement of my home by my own by using your given techniques and guess what i am succeeded...!!



  5. It was really insightful.
    Thanks for such a nice content.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look sawfinder.com thanks


  6. It was really insightful.
    Thanks for such a nice content.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look sawfinder.com thanks


  7. Really, interesting post. Thanks for this post. If anyone interested garden tools please visitthis.


  8. It's essential that you love where you live. Staying in your home should make you happy. For people who work from home, it is even more important than their home is one they enjoy. A great way to increase how you feel inside is by completing home projects that need to be done.If you are going to sell your home and it does not suit the buyer, they can always fix it to satisfy themselves.Make Premium Look By Using Home improvement tools .


  9. Are you about to venture into woodworking projects? Whether it is as a carpenter or a hobbyist who would love to advance his skills, then it goes without saying that you will be on the market for the best beginner table saw.

    But, why should you waste a lot of time trying to find the most appropriate table saw when you can opt to work with any table saw? A simple reason is that not all manufacturers are on the market to make table saws that are worth it. Therefore, this means that you might get frustrated faster than you thought once you buy the wrong table saw.

    To protect you from the frustration of buying a table saw that might breakdown within months of use or one that will deliver inconsistent cutting results, I recommend that you read on to find out the most appropriate table saws designed for beginners.


  10. For fast cutting of steel, stainless steel, aluminum and non-ferrous metals without lubrication. Supplied with carbide-tipped blade with 72 teeth.

    Promac 309C Metal Circular Saw


Related Posts with Thumbnails