Nursery Bedding: Crib Skirt with Inverted Box Pleats

I made a crib skirt with inverted box pleats in a contrasting color!

P4060025
 As the second sewing project for the nursery, this was a little harder than the panel curtains I made.

I also only made a partial skirt – just for those parts of the crib that are seen.

Here’s a brief tutorial:



Inverted box pleats generally follow a 2:4 ratio.  A 4” piece of fabric = 2” pleat.
  • measure and cut fabric panels (green fabric) and contrasting pleat inserts (brown fabric)
After folding the edges, I placed the fabric together face-to-face and sewed two seams along the edge.
skirt
  • repeat for each of the panels and inserts
  • sew a seam along the bottom
  • fold the pleats (like this) and iron flat
P3230008
  • fold over top twice and sew along the top of the skirt, holding the pleat in place
P3230010
  • added iron-on velcro in order to attach skirt to crib
P3270028

Problems I had:  I had to cut and hot glue the pleats at the corners of the crib to fit the crib’s design.

Otherwise, this was a totally do-able sewing project – even for a complete newbie like me!
P4060021
P4060022
P4060025
I am NOT so sure the next project will be so doable…

I'm linking this post up with
Funky Junk's Saturday Night Special
The DIY ShowOff Project Parade
Cottage Instincts Make It 4 Monday
Finding Fabulous Frugalicious Friday

It's So Very Cheri BLOGHOP!!
Bookmark and Share
Related Posts with Thumbnails